To play, press and hold the enter key. To stop, release the enter key.

Below sets out some frequently asked questions about our core services:

Our promise to you is that we will ...

  • Respond to enquiries promptly

  • Listen to any specific concerns you may have regarding a property prior to the survey taking place

  • Spend quality time at the property to fully "get to know it"

  • Follow lines of suspicion when defects have been identified

  • Accurately assess the quality of the property's condition

  • Write detailed reports in plain English

  • Continue to communicate with you throughout the process

Do I need a survey?

Our advice is always yes:   A home is the most expensive purchase most people ever make. As a potential home owner you will benefit from expert advice on the condition of the property you are hoping to buy, whether you plan to live in it, or rent it out. The survey will advise whether or not the property has been well maintained, whether there are any major issues, and whether there are any show stoppers. By commissioning either a RICS Home Buyer Report Survey, or a Building Survey you can feel assured that the service you receive is impartial and reliable.


Some clients ask whether it’s a good idea to have a survey on a flat or maisonette. You should be aware that you will usually have a shared financial liability in respect of the external fabric of the building (such as the roof, external walls, rainwater fittings etc.), and any internal common parts. When surveying this type of property, Nigel inspects the external fabric where visible, the accessible internal common parts, and the interior of your flat. He will also advise if the external fabric and common parts are showing signs of lack of maintenance or neglect, as this can sometimes means management of the building is not on an adequate footing, and service charges might need to increase significantly to cover the cost of repairs and redecoration

Click below to download "Choosing between Surveys when buying a property"

What type of survey do I need?

Typically the RICS Home Buyer report will be suitable for properties which are in reasonable condition, not too old or large and not significantly extended.


If the property is older, complex, significantly altered or extended, in poor condition, larger type, or of non-standard construction, then the Building Survey is more appropriate.


We look at on-line marketing details for the property to make an assessment of what the most appropriate survey would be for each property.